Art stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences, responding to the world using self-expression. As a visual language, it enables you to express emotions, moods and personal feelings. Art encourages confident communication of what you see, feel and think through the use of colour, texture, form and pattern using a variety of different materials and processes. It incorporates taking influences and relating work of other artists and designers in historical, social, cultural, political and economic contexts focusing on the appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts enriches all our lives.
DEEP Curriculum Overview
In Years 7 & 8, in line with our DEEP curriculum, pupils will build foundation skills needed in Art and Design in order to consolidate and expand upon skills learnt at Primary School. The initial focus will be on widening and developing their experience and skills using a variety of media, materials and techniques. Exploring tonal values, with control of a pencil to develop tone and directional light and shade. Practising these skills at home is vital to pupil progress. Introduction of colour theory and influences taken from art movements to produce visual responses will be encouraged. Pupils will have the opportunity to gather primary research on an educational visit which will enable them to create a visual art piece using clay. In Years 9, 10 and 11, pupils will have the opportunity to carry on their art education at a DEEPer level. Art is split into Art and Design or Art, Fashion and Textiles. Teaching and learning will focus on enabling pupils to increase their proficiency in handling and applying media. Specific tasks have been developed in order to strengthen skills, such as analysis and evaluation of their own work and that of others to understand visual impact and application.
Topics / Areas of Study
- Unit 1: Line and Tone
- Unit 2: Colour Theory
- Unit 3: Observational drawings
- Unit 4: Contextual and analytical studies of other artist’s work
- Unit 5: Sculpture
- Unit 6: Educational visit – Primary research
- Unit 7: Group media project.
- Unit 1: Portraiture
- Unit 2: Explore, develop and form a mask
- Unit 3: Educational visit- Primary Research
- Unit 5: Illustration
- Nature – pupils will be introduced and initially led through the research aspect of this unit. Enabling pupils to build a successful sketchbook with an emphasis on presentation. Pupils will be introduced to a variety of media to build secure independent skills.
- Nature – Pupils will analyse other artist work and taking influence to develop an independent response.
- Nature – Experiment and develop ideas to create a final piece.
Years 10 & 11
- 3D- Human form Photoshop- View through, light and dark or pattern and texture (Art)
- Fantastic and Strange- developing fashion design and construction (Art Fashion)
- Personal project- Religion or environment as a stimuli
- Mock exam- AQA set question – 10 weeks set time to complete sketchbook work and 10 hour invigilated exam.
- Completion of all controlled assess work
- Final exam- AQA set question – 10 weeks set time to complete sketchbook work and 10 hour invigilated exam.