KS3 pupils study Computer Science where they have a wide range of experiences with digital media, ICT and computer programming. KS4 pupils follow optional courses in ICT and Business Studies. Both are vocational courses. The GCSE qualification in ICT examines both theoretical practical aspects of information technology. The GCSE qualification in Business teaches pupils about Business concepts and practical aspects involved in a wide range of Business scenarios.
Aims of the Department:
In Year 7 and 8, pupils will study a variety of different topics to develop their understanding and knowledge in Computer Science. In year 7, pupils study hardware and software components; algorithms; programming in HTML and Scratch; Graphics; Creating an APP and spreadsheets. In year 8, pupils study the different hardware components used in a computer; Binary; Animation; Sound; Website Creation and Databases.
Topics / Areas of Study
- Pupils follow a 7 week rotation programme then study Technology in the remaining weeks. This includes: Week one and two Hardware, Software and Flowcharts. Weeks three and four programming in HTML and Scratch; Weeks five and six Graphics and Creating an APP. Week seven Spreadsheets.
- In year 8, pupils follow a 7 week rotation and in their remaining weeks follow a Technology programme. Week one pupils study different hardware components used in a computer and Binary; Weeks two and three, pupils study Animation and Sound. In weeks four and five, Website Creation is studied and in weeks six and seven, pupils learn about Databases.
- The Online World and Creating a Digital Portfolio
- Data Handling with Spreadsheets and Databases
- Creating a range of digital media
Year 10 & 11
- Business – Exploring Enterprises ICT – The Online World
- Business – Promotion and Finance for Enterprise ICT – A Digital Portfolio
- Business – Promotion and Finance for Enterprise ICT – A Digital Portfolio and The Online World
- Edexcel BTEC Level 2 First Award in Business, Edexcel Level 2 Certificate in Digital Applications
- Business – Unit 2 and Unit 3 ICT CIDA – Digital Media project and revision for examination
- Business – Unit 2 and Unit 6 ICT CIDA – Digital Media project and revision for examination
- Business – Unit 2, Unit 3 and Unit 6 ICT CIDA – Digital Media project and revision for examination