Geography is the study of the world and the people within it. Geography stimulates an interest in and a sense of wonder about places, people, resources and natural and human environments, together with a deep understanding of the Earth’s key physical and human processes. As pupils progress, their growing knowledge about the world should help them to deepen their understanding of the interaction between physical and human processes, and of the formation and use of landscapes and environments. It helps our pupils to make sense of a complex and ever changing world. It explains where places are, how places and landscapes are formed, how populations and their physical environment interact, and how a diverse range of economies, cultures and environments are interconnected and change over time..
Aims of the Department
Throughout Year 7 and 8, pupils will consolidate and extend their knowledge of the world’s major countries and their physical and human features. They will understand how geographical processes interact to create distinctive human and physical landscapes that change over time. In doing so, they will become aware of increasingly complex geographical systems in the world around them. They will develop greater competence in using geographical knowledge, approaches and concepts [such as models and theories] and geographical skills in analysing and interpreting different data sources. In this way pupils will continue to enrich their locational knowledge and spatial and environmental understanding. pupils will extend their locational knowledge and deepen their spatial awareness of the world’s countries, and will understand geographical similarities, differences and links between places through the study of the human and physical geography within the world.
Topics / Areas of Study
- It’s all Geography, Mapskills, Dynamic Earth
- Dynamic Earth and Development
- Africa and Coasts
- Population and Ecosystems
- Urbanisation and Rivers
- Weather and Climate as well as Climate Change.
- Tectonics, Weather and Climate Change
- Ecosystems, Tropical Rainforest and Deserts as well as a fieldwork opportunity.
- UK Landscapes, Coasts, and DME.
Year 10 & 11
- Rivers, Urban Issues and Challenges focusing on Rio.
- Urban Issues and Challenges focusing on London, Sustainability and Development as well as conducting fieldwork.
- Development, Nigeria, UK Economy and Decision Making Exercise.
- Resource Management, Water, and Fieldwork as well as exam practice.
- Unit 1 and Unit 2 Revision and exam practice. Decision Making Exercise and Revision of all 3 units as well as exam practice. .