Religious Education (RE) enables pupils to investigate and respond to fundamental questions of life and living and be able to express and justify their own opinions. It helps our pupils develop knowledge, understanding and skills when considering Christian and other responses to moral, ethical and philosophical issues.
KS3 Religious Education – Curriculum Overview
In Year 7 and 8, pupils identify, investigate and respond to fundamental questions of life and living and express and justify their own opinions. Key Stage 3 assessments are designed to help pupils progress seamlessly onto the EDUQAS GCSE programme of study.
Topics / Areas of Study
- How can Religious Education help me understand my community? Where in the world is Christianity?
- How do contemporary images reflect faith communities? What would be the impact on the world if the key festival of Easter did not take place?
- Where do people go to find affirmation of Faith? Should Christians be greener than everyone else? (Understanding Christianity)
- Is it fair? Where is God?
- Do Sacred texts enable individuals and groups to respond to times of crisis? Is Death the end?
- Should we forget about the Holocaust? Do words matter?
KS4 Religious Education – Curriculum Overview
All pupils complete the full course Religious Studies GCSE from EDUQAS, Route A.
Within RE we have found that pupils often find it easier to understand an issue when they look at it initially from a personal perspective. They develop their discussion, debate and argument-formation skills. Pupils will also be involved in research tasks and problem-solving activities. Wherever possible we try to use media stimulus (Film, TV, music for example) to engage the pupils in their learning.
Pupils prepare for three exams at the end of Year 11:
Component 1: Religious, Philosophical and Ethical Studies in the Modern World (2 hour exam)
Component 2: Study of Christianity (1 hour exam)
Component 3: Study of Islam (1 hour exam)
- Is faith hidden? What about Islam?
- What does it mean to be ‘called’? What happens when faith and courage Collide?
- Gospel (Understanding Christianity) How does the society and media portray Islam?
Year 10 & 11
- Issues of Relationships Christianity Beliefs and Teachings
- Complete Christianity: Beliefs and teachings Christianity Practices
- Issues of Life and Death Issues of Good and Evil
- Islam: Beliefs and teachings Issues of Human Rights
- Islam: Practices Revision