If you enjoy communicating with other people, finding out how language works and learning about different countries and cultures, studying GCSE Spanish is an excellent choice for you! It is also one of the subjects under The English Baccalaureate.
Aims of the Department:
In Year 7 and 8 pupils will study a variety of different topics and begin to develop their skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing in Spanish. They will also be introduced to key grammatical structures to enable them to manipulate the language for communication. Key stage 3 assessments cover all four skill areas and will be tailored to help them to progress onto the EDUQAS GCSE programme of study.
Topics / Areas of Study
- Autumn 1 MI VIDA Name, birthday, brothers and sisters, pets and type of person you are. Grammar=The verb TENER, masculine/feminine adjective agreements. Assessment: Reading and writing
- Autumn 2 MI TIEMPO LIBRE Free time, sports, weather. Grammar=Me gusta + infinitive, -ar present tense verbs, Hacer and jugar, using cuando. Assessment: Listening and speaking
- Spring 1 MI INSTI Talking about school subjects, describing school and what you do at breaktime. Grammar= present tense of –er/-ir verbs, me gusta+ el/la/los/las Assessment: Reading and writing
- Spring 2 MI FAMILIA Y MIS AMIGOS Talking about family members and describing what they look like. Describing where you live. Grammar= verbs ser,estar and tener Assessment: Listening and speaking
- Summer 1 MI CIUDAD Describing where you live Grammar= verbs ir and querer. Immediate future tense. Assessment: Reading, writing, listening and speaking.
- Summer 2 Exploration of authentic material – SONGS
- Autumn 1 MIS VACACIONES Describing a holiday you went on. Grammar= Regular preterite tense, the preterite tense of verb ir. Assessment: Reading and writing
- Autumn 2 TODO SOBRE MI VIDA Talking about what you do on a day to day basis including music and tv. GRAMMAR= using the present and preterite tense. Assessment: Listening and speaking
- Spring 2 ¡A COMER! Giving your opinion about food, describing mealtimes,ordering and buying food. Grammar = usted/ustedes,negatives, immediate future. Assessment: Reading and writing
- Spring 2 ¿QUÉ HACEMOS? Making arrangements to go out, organising what to wear for different events. GRAMMAR= me gustaria + infinitive, verbs querer and poder Assessment: Listening and speaking
- Summer 1 OPERACIÓN VERANO Talking about holiday homes, activities and directions and summer camps. GRAMMAR = using the comparative and the superlative, the imperative. Assessment: Reading, writing, listening and speaking.
- Summer 2 Exploration of authentic material- Don Quijote
- Autumn 1 Introduction to GCSE /Grammar revision Current study 3a and 3b (school/college studies and life) ASSESSMENTS= Speaking and listening
- Autumn 2 Youth culture 1a (Self and relationships) ASSESSMENTS= Reading and writing
- Spring 1 Youth Culture 1b (Technology and social media) Assessments= Speaking and listening
- Spring 2 Lifestyle 4a (Health and fitness) Assessments= Reading and Writing
- Summer 1 Lifestyle 4b (Entertainment and leisure) Assessments= Listening and speaking
- Summer 2 Exploration of the film Voces Innocentes (Clips only)
Year 10 & 11
- Autumn 1 Global sustainability 8a and 8b (Environment and social issues) Assessments= Speaking and Listening
- Autumn 2 Customs and traditions 7a and 7b (Food and Drink/ festivals and celebrations) Assessments: Reading and writing
- Spring 1 Home and locality 2a and 2b (Local areas of interest and transport)
- Spring 2 Cont Home and locality 2a and 2b (Local areas of interest and transport) Assessments = Speaking and Listening
- Summer 1 World of work 6a and 6b (Work experience, part time jobs, skills and personal qualities) Assessments: Reading and grammar and translation, listening
- Summer 2 Jobs and future plans 9a and 9b (Applying for work and career plans) Assessments= Speaking, writing
- Autumn 1 Spain and Spanish speaking countries 5a and 5b (Local and regional features and characteristics) Assessments= Speaking and listening
- Autumn 2 Revision of current and future study and employment ( Modules 3,6,9) Revision of identity and culture ( Modules 1,4,7) Assessments= Reading and writing Full mock
- Spring 1 Revision of local, national, international and global issues (modules2,5,8) Assessments= Speaking and listening
- Spring 2 Exam skills and preparation Assessments= Reading and writing