Physical Education allows pupils to participate in a variety of different sporting activities. These can be team or individual activities which allow pupils to develop skills in isolation then transfer them to competitive situations. Pupils will enhance their knowledge and understanding of tactics and rules and get the opportunity to perform the roles of coaches and officials. Other qualities that are developed during lessons are self esteem/confidence, social interaction through teamwork, discipline and respect.
DEEP Curriculum Overview
The keys aspects of our DEEP curriculum for core PE focus on skill development. Each activity will cover the key skills and there will be significant opportunities for the pupils to transfer skills covered into competitive situations. The goal is for the pupils to perform skills with consistency and control. In each activity, different tactics will be discussed and implemented. Pupils will take different roles within the lessons to demonstrate their understanding.
Topics / Areas of Study:
CORE PE Practical
Football, Rugby, Fitness, Netball, Gymnastics, Cross Country
Trampolining, Dance, Hockey, Basketball, Badminton
Rounders, Softball, Cricket, Athletics, Gymnastics, Table Tennis
In GCSE PE (Edexcel exam board), we aim to enable pupils to:
- Develop theoretical knowledge and understanding of the factors that underpin physical activity and sport and use this knowledge and understanding to improve performance
- Understand how the physiological and psychological state affects performance in physical activity and sport
- Perform effectively in different physical activities by developing skills and techniques and selecting and using tactics, strategies and/or compositional ideas
- Develop their ability to analyse and evaluate to improve performance in physical activity and sport
- Understand the contribution that physical activity and sport make to health, fitness and well-being
- Understand the key socio-cultural influences that can affect people’s involvement in physical activity and sport.
The BTEC Sport course (Edexcel) is designed to equip pupils with the knowledge, understanding and practical skills required for success in future employment in sports and related industries. Pupils learn by completing assessments (internal and external) based on a variety of situations and activities within a sporting context. The course offers a practical and theoretical study that prepares pupils for progression onto the advanced level courses in Sport Coaching and Development or Sport and Exercise Sciences. BTEC Sport is designed to engage and introduce learnings to the world of sport. It incorporates important aspects of the industry such as fitness testing and training for sport and exercise, the psychology of sport, practical sport performance and sports leadership.
The skills this course will develop are:
- To provide a sound, intellectually demanding vocational learning experience.
- To use the motivating interest in sport to promote academic learning.
- To develop and extend the pupils practical sporting skills in a range of activities.
- The course will provide opportunities for the pupils to be aware of and to develop personal qualities of leadership, responsibility, appearance, commitment and teamwork in a range of practical and academic situations.
- To build upon the foundation of the National Curriculum in PE. It will extend the pupils’ knowledge of factors that affect a performance of a practical skill.
Click image to read in full.